Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Why Peace Corps?

            I leave in exactly one week, so I'm finally making my first blog post!  I thought it might be a good idea to start off by answering the question many of you have asked me, “How can you go back to Africa for two years?”  A lot of you read my emails during my study abroad in Kenya; so I know that you are all referring to some of my not so pleasant stories.  A house filled with cockroaches and a rat the size of a cat, showers from a bucket, bed bugs, getting mugged and multiple hospital visits due to various bacterial infections.  Needless to say, these are not the reasons why I am returning to Africa.  I am not sure if I can accurately express in words why I chose the Peace Corps and why I am so excited to live in Uganda for two years, but I will do my best.
            My four months in Kenya were truly some of the best times of my life; to be able to live and work in a different country was priceless.  I always felt, however, that my time there had been too short, and I didn’t have the opportunity to truly take advantage of my experience.  I left just as I was finally starting to understand the language, culture and what was expected of me at my internship.  I looked into the Peace Corps because I wanted the same sort of experience, but for a longer period of time.  I think that one can learn a lot from working with people of different cultures and backgrounds.  I hope that I will be able to accurately relay everything that I learn and experience so that those reading this will come to realize there is more to Uganda than poverty and an HIV/AIDS epidemic.
            So, how can I “rough” it for two years?  Well, I look at it like this - I have the opportunity to live in Uganda for two years, to travel to different parts of the world and to help those in need - in the grand scheme of things, taking a bucket shower just doesn’t seem all that bad.  Millions of people live like this for their whole lives; it’s not going to kill me to do it for two years.  I also have the luxury of knowing it’s not permanent, and I can come home to my soy latte at Starbucks and a gourmet meal cooked by mom.  At the end of the day, I know that I’m going to have to find the humor in the bad situations and just roll with the punches.
            Everyone has begged me to please be careful, and I promise that I will.  I will not aimlessly walk into a prison like the last time I was in Uganda or take a short cut home through the woods at night (while texting, of course).  I have been taking Krav Maga self defense, so hopefully I will do a little more than scream at the top of my lungs if I do get jumped from behind, again. 
            I am going to miss everyone and saying my goodbyes has not been easy.  I will do my best at updating this blog and responding to emails while I am away.  I’m not sure how my Internet access will be when I arrive in Uganda, so it may be a while until you hear from me.  I love you all!

5 comments:

  1. Oooo my Kenyan sista I am sooo proud and excited for you... and there is zero explanation needed for me. I know the love we all share for Africa runs strong and deep as it does for each other!! I can't wait to hear about all your adventures and mishaps, as I know there will be many, and there will not be a day that goes by that I won't think of you and send you my love! I hope you remember to upload your photos on the picture frame so you can carry us all with you! I LOVE YOU WITH ALL MY HEART AUBREY MARSH and can't wait to visit in 2012!! :) Kwa heri for now my dear sista safari salama mpenzi!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wahhh! I'm going to miss you. But I won't miss your laundry! Just stay safe and have the time of your life. I am soooo proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sad to see you go but so excited for you to start your amazing journey. Love you and be safe!! Starbucks will still be here when you get back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am certainly going to miss your bright sunny disposition. I know that you are really going to make a difference in everybody's life that you come into contact with in Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Aubrey,
    just wanted to say hi and to tell you that you have a nak for writting, you should write a book on all your experiences especially in Africa I still you are crazy but very brave. You obiously get that from mommy bren lol.
    Anyways girlie GC really misses you especially your trips to Yogurt land :) now he tried to convince Raquel to take him until you came back. GC is just to funny sometimes. All is well here in L.A. weather really sucks rains for minute then hot the next. I will keep you posted on GC's new school outcome. Take care and stay safe my girlie!
    xoxo, Alicia
    Ps. GC says hi :)

    ReplyDelete