Monday, March 7, 2011

Flip Cup for Primary School


            Leave it to a Badger to turn a popular drinking game into something educational; UW really did teach me something.  Let me just start off by saying this learning aid did not actually include alcohol, in case any of you were wondering.  Today we went to a Coordinating Center (CC), which is a resource center for schools and teachers.  The CCT (Coordinating Center Tutor), Moses, showed us some of the learning aids teachers use that are made out of local resources – many of them being models made from paper-mâché.  He taught us how to make them, which was cool because they even make their own paste!  Afterward, it was our turn to come up with our own learning aids with the materials he provided, which included a stack of recycled plastic cups.  I initially joked and said, “Let’s teach them beer pong or flip cup!”  However, soon an idea sparked that actually used the concept of flip cup.  Mental math is a problem here among students, so my game was based on trying to improve these skills.  This is the educational version of flip cup: We wrote simple multiplication equations on the bottom of each cup.  Students would be split up into two teams and it would be a relay race like regular flip cup.  The object of the game is to try and flip the cup upside down with just your two fingers so you can see the equation.  Once you have done so, you have to shout out the equation and the answer (i.e. 2 x 2 = 4), before the next person on your team can go.  The team that finishes first wins!  We demonstrated the game for Moses, and he played a round as well.  He thoroughly enjoyed it, made us write down the instructions and took the cups!  So flip cup was a hit. 
            I’m still enjoying my time here in Uganda, even though the training has been long.  We were taken on a bit of a field trip on Thursday, which was a nice break.  First we went to TASO (The AIDS Support Organization) in Entebbe.  TASO was formed in 1987 and has grown into one of the largest organized national responses to the HIV/AIDS epidemic.  We learned about the organization and the type of support and education that they provide.  They staff also sang a song for us, which was amazing.  (I took a video, which I will one day upload).  One of the patients also gave his personal story of becoming infected with HIV, which was extremely depressing.  I know that I will encounter many more of these stories while here, especially when I start working in the village.  I’m sure that is one of the reasons why our trainers brought us to TASO in the first place.  After TASO, we were taken to the Uganda Wildlife Education Center (UWEC)…probably to cheer us up.
            UWEC was awesome; we got to see a lot of animals!  Giraffes, lions, rhinos, crocodiles, zebras, a python and a cobra – just to name a few.  There were also tons of monkeys roaming around.  Monkeys here are like our squirrels in America.  However, the monkeys around UWEC were clearly used to being around people because they would get super close.  After walking around, a few of us bought food to eat while we waited for the bus.  One of the monkeys got a little too close for comfort and actually jumped on two of the girls in order to try and snatch their food!  We also witnessed a “monkey robbery.”  One of the cars in the parking lot left their windows open, and about 15 monkeys went inside, started stealing things, and ran out.  It was hilarious and we all took tons of photos.  I feel bad for whoever had to walk back to their car to find everything missing and monkey poop all over the seats! 
            I still love my home stay and my family.  Dan has been very entertaining, as we have had some interesting conversations/debates.  My top three favorites have been: 1. He told me I should have a child by now since I am 22, and he would pray for me.  He says a woman cannot be successful unless she has a child, so he hopes that I have one while I’m in Uganda (ha!) 2. He is going to come to America and campaign to have people stop having cats and dogs sleep in beds with people.  (In Uganda, and most of Africa, there isn’t really the idea of pets.  Ugandans fear dogs because they are usually used as protection.  Dan thinks it’s weird that we treat cats and dogs like part of the family).  3. I am on the path to hell because I don’t go to church on Sunday.  It’s all a part of the cultural exchange, so it’s interesting to hear his point of view.  I also have fun debating with him, even though it usually ends with me laughing hysterically.
            My host brother came home for the weekend, and it was great to meet him.  He is 22 and goes to university in Kampala.  My mom had him help me with my laundry because she said I needed to learn the "right" way to hand wash.  He was ridiculously fast and way better at it than I was - he would finish five shirts before I finished one.  He made me wash my dirty clothes bag, and then my mom made me IRON it!!!!  My mom actually made me iron every piece of clothing, including my socks.  And no, this wasn't because of mango flies, it's just because I have to look "smart".  I don't think I have ever ironed a piece of clothing in my life, but I am getting practice here.  I also helped my brother in the kitchen: we made fresh squeezed pineapple and passion fruit juice and we made a salad for dinner.
            I taught another science class on Friday, which went even better than the last time.  I remembered not to make any sarcastic jokes, and I watched the phrasing of my questions.  I even played a trivia game with the students in order to test their knowledge of the classes of animals, which they seemed to really enjoy.  So I am starting to feel more comfortable with teaching, which is good.
            I tried to upload photos the other day, but it went so slow, and then I ran out of time on my Internet.  I will probably try again this weekend when I have the patience, but no guarantees.  
             

1 comment:

  1. Oh my god Aubrey. That flip cup idea is brilliant! And has the added benefit of being hilarious. Sounds like you're having an amazing time! I hope you manage to upload pictures soon. Are you as grimy as we all were in Kenya yet? Sound like your host mom maybe won't let that happen, lol. MISS YOU!

    ReplyDelete