Friday, May 20, 2011

Gas Stoves and New Photos

            After my mom heard this story, all she said was, “I knew that would happen.”  So maybe you won’t be surprised with my stupidity.  I have a gas stove that hooks up to a propane tank – like a big camping stove.  I usually turn off the propane first when I am finished because I have a fear that I will forget, and then I turn off the knob on the stove that regulates the flame.  The other day I was cooking on a different burner than I usually do.  After about 15 seconds of cooking, I heard a huge pop and a fireball erupted on my stove.  Guess who forgot to turn the knob to “off” on the other burner.  Yup…that was me.  I jumped about five feet backwards and screamed.  The funniest part, however, was that there were little kids watching me cook through the window.  (I’m white, so I’m automatically interesting.  Kids are constantly watching my every move).  As soon as it exploded they all screamed and ran away.  I actually think one of the little ones started to cry.  They haven’t been peeking through my kitchen window lately, which is actually quite nice.  Regardless, I will try to be more careful.
            I don’t have much else to tell you – I just wanted to post so I could upload a few pictures.  I have spent the last week lounging around and playing basketball at Ryan’s school.  School starts again next week, so my three-week vacation is coming to an end.  I was enjoying being lazy, but I guess it’s time to get to work now.  I’ll try to update you after my first week as a teacher in Uganda…eek!
           Also, I updated my contact information.  I have a new address now - I know you are all dying to send me some awesome care packages :)

A typical Ugandan meal

Loading all of our luggage to move to site

Josh and me

Ryan and me - super photogenic

Swearing In Ceremony

Nikki and me
We're PCVs!!

A giant spider that I found right by my door

CRAB

The Nile River

Great sunset in Soroti

The gross beetles in Soroti

A great way to transport chickens

Meat on a stick

Humongous jack fruit
           
 

2 comments:

  1. Aub, these pics are awesome and I'm jealous you've figured out how to upload them to your blog without it taking a millennium! Congrats (again) on being an official PCV. You are amazing and I cannot wait to see you at your new home! Send emails to the Sunview+ crew with all the stories that you can't actually post here! SUNVIEW <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look so happy and amazing!!! Thinking of you always!!!

    ReplyDelete