Thursday, November 3, 2011

Halloween Weekend


            I have mentioned before that being an mzungu in Uganda means being a bit of a celebrity.  A Ugandan will inevitably strike up a conversation with me whether I am enjoying a meal at a restaurant, walking on the road, or sitting on a taxi.  Ugandans will usually ask to be my friend, and then ask if they can have my “contact” (phone number).  The main difference between a celebrity like George Clooney and me is that I actually give out my phone number.  Unfortunately, this means I get constant calls from strangers at all hours of the day.  If I don’t pick up, then they will continue to call five or six more times.   I don’t blame them - when my friends and I got a hold of Aaron Carter’s phone number, we called him so much he changed his number.  I know the consequences of freely handing out my digits, but I am too nice to say no.  Plus, I sometimes receive amazing texts like these:

“flower’s die, songs fade, memoriz 4get, bt precious friends l’ke u wil neves be 4goten and da worst part ov mi l’fe iz missing a friend. Great morning.”

            This past weekend a few us who live out east made the trek north to Gulu for Halloween weekend.  Chelsea, Audrey, Ryan, Erica and I took the eight-hour bus ride together and I think all we did was eat.  Every stop one of us would decide to buy chapatti, maize, popcorn, bananas, chicken on a stick, samosas, chips, or ground nuts.  I am sure I am missing a few snack items in that list, but you all get the gist.  We would complain that we were so full, and then someone would buy a snack from another vendor. 
            Halloween weekend in Gulu was a lot of fun.  I have never seen so many mzungus at one time (excluding Peace Corps).  Gulu has a ton of NGOs, which explains all the foreigners.  Friday night we went out and it was great to have everyone around to celebrate my birthday.  At one point I had a dance off with a Ugandan and then did the worm.  (My cousins Heather and Jane taught me how to do the worm in the 7th grade, and all of a sudden it has become my signature dance move here!)  Caroline got me the best birthday gift ever…a chocolate croissant!! I have been craving one for two months, and she found one in Kampala. Invisible Children, one of the NGOs, threw a Halloween Party Saturday night and it felt like I was back in college.  The party was at one of their houses, which was huge, and I felt like I was in a frat house.  All the party needed was a beer bong and some flip cup.  Everyone was dressed up in costumes and it felt like we were back in America.  Halloween isn’t celebrated in Uganda, so I felt a tad ridiculous walking to this party in my blonde wig and outrageous get up. 
            The bus ride home, unfortunately, was not as great as the ride there.  That seems to always be the case when traveling.  The bus was packed – there were people standing in the aisle because all of the seats were full.  Ugandans do not like to have the windows open, so it felt like a sauna the whole way.  I could not get off of that bus fast enough when we reached Mbale.  As soon as I walked into my school compound, my neighbors’ kids ran to give me hugs and welcome me home.  However, then they asked me for paper and crayons, so I’m not really sure if they actually missed me – I just think they missed my treats!  Oh well, I guess I am okay with buying children’s love. 
            

The kids coloring outside my house

John's site - I mean...come on!  

We are really photogenic - Me, Caroline, Ryan

Caroline and Ryan

Hike near John's house

The river where we later went swimming (I probably have shisto now)


Bus ride to Gulu - Chelsea and Audrey

Caroline bought me this awesome birthday hat

Max and me

Mzungu dance party


Joey and me on Halloween.  

2 comments:

  1. Looks like SO MUCH FUN! I hope it was almost as much fun as yours and my combined 20/21 in Nairobi. My 24th last night came pretty damn close! But nothing beats taking over an entire dance club and a full out frosting war. I hope we can have a combined Afrika birthday again soon!!!! XOXOXOXOXO

    P.S. I started buying goodies for your "Christmas-or-whenever-it-arrives" gift box. You and Jowi will want to kiss me.

    ReplyDelete