Monday, January 16, 2012

Toy Airplanes

            The Marsh Family has left Africa with no cuts, scrapes, amoebic dysentery, or run-ins with the law.  Brenda behaved herself and she actually made quite a few new friends; maybe it’s something about the air over here.  And you all were worried… (Okay, I was too!)
            After the Serengeti, we headed to Zanzibar for a much needed three-day beach vacation.  We were all happy to not have to set an alarm and drive in a car for three days.  The flight over to Zanzibar was interesting to say the least.  We flew out of the “air strip” in the Serengeti, which was just a long dirt road serving as a runway.   When the planes took off, we were all drowning in the dust that encircled us.  Also, I am not even sure these aircrafts can even be classified as planes.  They were tiny one-prop planes with twelve seats, which I am pretty sure they sell at Toys R’ Us.  We flew to Arusha first, which was about a 30 minute flight, and I was gripping my sister’s hand most of the way.  Surprisingly, my mom, who hates flying, was perfectly fine.  I, on the other hand, wanted to take her whole bottle of Xanax.  We flew from Arusha to Zanzibar in another toy plane, but this flight was two and a half hours.  I am not quite sure how this plane held enough fuel for two and a half hours, but some things are better left unknown.
            If anyone had more anxiety than me about this flight, then it was the pilot.  My dad sat next to him in the cockpit because the toy plane was full and it was considered a passenger seat.  The pilot was biting his nails and biting a portion of his wrist and sucking on it the whole flight.  At the same time, he was reading the emergency handbook – what to do if the fuel ran out, what to do in a rainstorm, etc.  I guess we should be happy that he was actually reading the handbook; better late than never!  I know what you’re all thinking, “Thank God it was Brett sitting next to the pilot, not Brenda or Robyn.”  Robyn was sitting behind the pilot and could see him biting his nails, which grossed her out, but she was unaware of the emergency handbook.  I’m pretty sure that could be an SNL skit – someone call up NBC. 
            Zanzibar was beautiful and relaxing.  We lounged on the beach and hardly anyone was there.  We basically had the beach to ourselves – white sand and the water was so warm, it was like a bath.  We also had really great seafood, which was nice for me because I can’t get that in Uganda.  I could have used another day or two at the beach, but unfortunately, we all set out for home after three days.  I was sad to say bye to my family, but I am so happy that I could see them and that they made the trip to visit me. 
            The flight back was uneventful, and I thankfully got a real sized plane.  Herbert, our driver while we were in Uganda, picked me up and drove me all the way home.  I was so happy to not have to deal with public transport and get home at a reasonable hour.  Herbert used my latrine before he headed back home – and he swept out all of the rat poop and critters!  He really is the best. 
            I thought that coming back to site after being pampered for two weeks would be hard, but it feels like I never left.  I do miss showers and toilets, but I am actually quite happy to be home.  School doesn’t start for another two weeks, so I am just hanging out and not doing much of anything.  I am starting to study for the GMAT (ew!) because I feel like I should have some sort of plan for when I enter the real world in a year.  My dad loves to constantly ask me what I plan on doing after I finish the Peace Corps even though he knows it’s a source of anxiety.  He seems to think, however, if he phrases the question differently each time, it’s okay. 
I went with Sauya to an orphanage outside of Jinja the other day.  Her friend, Godffrey, recently started the orphanage and she wanted to introduce me to him and show me around the school.  Also, she wanted me to consider donating some of the “Libraries for Life” books to the orphanage.  The school was very small and the classrooms were tiny – P1 and P2 are taught in the same room, which must get confusing/loud.  Godffrey took us to his house afterwards for a “simple” lunch, which was a small feast.  The amount of food he put on my plate could have fed a family of four.  I told Godffrey that I would donate a portion of the books to his school, but only if he built bookshelves in the next three months in order to prove he was committed to taking care of the books.  (Otherwise, I know the books would just sit in a box).  Godffrey’s neighbor came over after lunch, but she spoke no English.  She scrutinized me for a little and then turned to ask Godffrey why I was there.  He explained, and then she said something that made both Sauya and Godffrey laugh.  All I caught was “mzungu,” so I knew they were talking about me.  She kept talking and I could just catch bits and pieces – I was getting the idea she did not like mzungu.  Finally, Sauya translated for me and she said, “She told Godffrey that you better not be like the ‘other’ mzungu.”  Apparently, last year, other wazungu (plural for mzungu) came to the town and said they were going to sponsor the children to go to school.  The town fed them and gave them necklaces as gifts of thanks, but the wazungu never delivered.  Hence, wazungu kind of have a bad rep in the town of Nakirubi.  I really hope that Godffrey builds the bookshelves so that I can bring the wazungu back to Nakirubi’s good graces. 
Lastly, thank you to all those that donated to Libraries for Life – we reached our goal, and raised all of the money that we needed!  The books should be delivered in 3-6 months (I’m sure they will get stuck at customs).  I will be sure to keep you updated and let you know when the library is all set up.  Thank you, again! 

            Also, here are a few more photos from our trip:  
Leopard


Taking a snooze


Baby cheetah cubs


The awesome staff at Nomad Camp 

Toy Plane

Not the best quality photo, but you get the idea of how small the plane was!

The beach in Zanzibar


Getting thrown out of the boat is always fun - that's me with my legs up in the air!

1 comment:

  1. I am so glad you had a good time with your family! I wish Lizzy, Erin and I could come visit. Miss you bunches!!

    ReplyDelete