Friday, October 26, 2012

Nothing Like a Little Schisto


           This post will be a continuation of my last post, which I wrote over a month ago - sorry, I have been a little MIA.  To recap: I went to PC Medical in late September, and they could not figure out what was wrong with me.  They figured that I had an upper GI bleed that healed itself.  Well, that turned out not to be the case…
            A week after I went to medical, I started to have a sharp right-sided pain.  I figured it was just cramps; I took some Ibuprofen and went to bed.  Well, I woke up in the middle of the night in excruciating pain, and started violently vomiting.  I called my parents because that seemed like the logical thing to do.  I mean, after all, they are only halfway across the world.  My dad told me to call medical because he said it could be my appendix.
            I called medical and PC sent a car for me that morning because they thought it was my appendix too.  If I hadn’t felt so sick, then I really would have enjoyed the sweet ride in a nice car with air-conditioning.  Unfortunately, I was nauseated the whole way and just wanted to get out of the car.  They took me to the hospital – I had blood drawn and an ultrasound done.  My ultrasound came back fine (yay! No surgery needed in Uganda!) and my blood tests were normal.  I had a bit of a fever and my CBC indicated a possible bacterial infection.  So, Peace Corps gave me some antibiotics, and told me I could go home the next day.
            I was on the bus home when I got a call from the medical office.  The nurse said, “So Aubrey, I’m looking at your lab results from the last time you were here, and I think I found the problem.  You have schistosomiasis.”  Well, this was no surprise for me.  I have been rafting four times, so it was bound to happen.  For those that do not know, schistosomiasis is parasitic worms.  Yippee!  They had another volunteer bring me my medicine, and now I am better. 
            My parents were very happy that I was coming home the following week for a visit.  They made me get checked out by all sorts of doctors – I am happy to report that I am a healthy girl!  Going home was also glorious.  I was pampered for a week.  Manicure, pedicure, facial, eyebrows waxed, and haircut!  Everyone kept asking if I was having a hard time adjusting, but I felt right at home.  I went back to my old ways – had my dad bring me Starbucks and I went shopping at Saks.  I also spent my ten days eating anything that I could.  I probably gained five pounds, and I am not exaggerating.  I am so happy that I went home – it was nice to see my friends and family and to be spoiled for a week.
            I only had two “culture shock” moments that I can remember.  The first was when I got home.  I walked out of my bathroom and my bedroom light was off.  The first thing that came to my mind was, “Oh man!  The power is out.”  Did not take me long to realize that power outages are not common in the US and I just had to flip the switch.  The second moment was when my sister and I were about to leave the house.  I told her to unplug the computers because there might be a power surge.  She looked at me like I was insane, and then started laughing at me.  Oh right…those do not happen either in America.  As you can tell, most of my cultural adjustments were related to power.
            I thought that it might be hard to come back to Uganda after enjoying the luxuries of the Western World, but it feels like I never left.  My neighbors were ecstatic to have me back – Stephen was waiting outside of my house for me.  My students cleaned my house and my latrine, where there was a dead rat (of course!).  My neighbors were also excited to get their gifts from America – they were going nuts.  I gave a lot of candy to my students too and they all started screaming they were so excited.  My neighbors kept telling me that they thought I would not come back because I would realize how much better the US was.  While I do miss my shower at home, it is good to be back and see everyone!
            As I finish this post, I just thought of another thing that I found weird while in the US.  That Gangnam Style song!!  I cannot understand why it is so popular.  However, the music video for that song just came on in the café that I am in.  So, I guess the craze is about to hit Uganda.  Maybe I will bust out those sick dance moves from the music video at the club since I have retired the worm.   I see a potential new signature move!  

No comments:

Post a Comment