Sunday, March 4, 2012

Texts from Uganda

           I am sure a lot of you are familiar with the website "Texts from Last Night."  Chelsea decided to compile a bunch of Peace Corps Volunteers' texts in order to give you an idea of the sort of texts we send each other.  She posted the texts on her blog.  Here is a little preview: 


"I was about to have a poop attack, but I couldn't find the key to my latrine.  So I pooped in a plastic bag. FML"

"oh and emptied my night bucket for the first time in two days. the smell gave me an instant head ache. oops." (a night bucket is the Peace Corps equivalent of a chamberpot)



"i have the least self control when it comes to american food. but i'm going to try!!"



"i heard you solved your cockroach problem somehow. what did you do?"



"hey you guys still alive?"



"side note: a teacher just raised their hand in the middle of my workshop and told me i look like hannah montana without the wig" 


If you're curious and not too grossed out, then you can check out the rest of our crazy texts on Chelsea's blog:  

http://ugandareadthis-iaintlion.blogspot.com/2012/03/texts-from-uganda-edition.html

2 comments:

  1. Just found your blog while looking up how to avoid mango flies. ha. Thought I'd comment and say 'hello'. I'll be joining the PC crew in Uganda this May and the texts probably should gross me out but kind of make me excited about crazy Ugandan life :p

    -Michelle Claus

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Aubrey! I stumbled here from PC journals, the texts from Africa thing is a hilarious idea. I'm an education PCV in Kenya and I'm doing a little research into PC policy regionally (I know, nail biting stuff, haha)... I would love to know a little about the policy in Uganda (I've heard that Kenya and Uganda might share a similar problem with al shebab). If you're up to answering a few questions, my email is PCVKenyaMLR@gmail.com.

    Mostly I would like to know about your out of community policy (as we call it here) and your motorcycle/travel policy. In Kenya we currently have 2 out of community nights a month. Anytime we overnight anywhere outside of our site, we are required to use an out of community night and to inform PC. We are also not allowed to travel to the capital save for serious medical issues, or with express pc permission (the PC office is in the capital).

    As far as mode of travel goes, motorcycles are forbidden (even though the majority of PCVs live in places that are 10ish K off the tarmak, only really accessible by motorcycle). We are also forbidden from night travel.

    I'd really appreciate your thoughts : )
    Meredith

    ReplyDelete