Friday, June 29, 2012

Queen of the Nile


            One would think that I would be pretty sick of rafting the Nile by now, but my fourth time was just as fun as the first.  Plus, it was great that I could go with my cousin, Jane.  We were lucky to have two great raft guides, Alex and Elliot.  Elliot was a “trainee” and it was only his second day on the river.  That is right, I had rafted the river more times than one of our guides.  A little disconcerting to say the least.  Alex, however, was great and more than experienced.  He was also hilarious and danced during every rapid.  At one point in the day, people got out of their boats to swim.  The boys in Jane’s group were in a different raft and they swam over to try and pull us in.  Alex said, “Hey, boys.  If you want to play with my ladies, then you are you going to have to pay me first.”  
We set the tone for a pretty great day with our first rapid, which is the waterfall.  You have to veer to the right in order to go down the waterfall; otherwise, you will go down the back rapid.  We went down and barely missed making it to the waterfall.  However, instead of going down the left, we managed to get ourselves wedged on a rock.  Jane and I were in the front, which was starting to lean over the rock.  We were screaming and laughing because we were staring face down the rock.  Alex yelled, “LEAN FORWARD!”  Jane and I, clearly on the same page, leaned as far back as we could with sheer terror on our faces.  I was thinking to myself, “There is no way he wants us to go down this sheet of rock.  That’s insane.  He must have said lean back.”  Alex yelled, “What are you doing? I said lean forward!”  Fed up with us, he jumped to the front of the boat, and we flew down the rock – shrieking the whole way.  The other boats were cracking up and cheering when we got down.  The boys said that our faces were priceless (pictures to follow).
            I have decided to retire my signature dance move, the worm.  I am probably a few years late in making this decision, but I feel that it is finally necessary.  Saturday night, at NRE Campsite, a bit of a dance party started.  One guy started break dancing, so some people convinced me that I should follow-up and do the worm.  Well, I never back out of a challenge.  Unfortunately, someone had recently dropped a beer bottle and all the glass wasn’t swept off of the floor.  Down my chin went, straight into a piece of broken glass.  I was bleeding everywhere!  Good thing I was with a bunch of med students.  Jane and Kevin cleaned me right up and made sure there was no glass left in my chin.  They also had some butterfly bandages with them, which they used to help close up the gaping hole in my chin.  Pretty sure I am going to have a lovely scar once it heals, so maybe I should think of a different story to tell.  Suggestions are welcome.
            I have said it before, and I will say it again, being an mzungu is like being a celebrity.  When I first got here, I reveled in all the attention.  I was like Miley Cyrus back in the Hannah Montana days, throwing up the peace sign to all the paparazzi.  One year later, I am more of the big sunglasses and pursed lips type of celebrity.  I used to think it was the cutest thing when kids would follow me on my run.  Now, not so much.  I have been leaving earlier and earlier to avoid the thirty shrieking children that will inevitably follow me.  The other day, however, I did not leave early enough.  Some older primary students started to follow me and make fun of me running.  I was annoyed and I decided to have some fun.  I turned around suddenly, lunged at them, and growled.  They all stopped like deer caught in the headlights with looks of sheer terror on their faces.  Then they all turned and ran away screaming.  I did not actually think I would scare them that much, but it made it that much funnier.  Some old ladies were walking along the road and they could not stop laughing either.  Mission accomplished – I was able to run in peace. 
            As many of you may recall, 700-800 books were taken from the Libraries for Life team at the Mbale Port.  We all sort of figured most of them would be sold.  So I was not at all shocked when I saw a guy selling some of the books on the side of the road in Mbale.  Caroline and I kept asking the man, “Are these really your books?”  He kept replying, “Yes! Do you want?  Good price!”  We could not stop laughing – like I was really going to purchase back my property.  Thankfully, I have more than enough books at Namengo.  I guess Libraries for Life also helped to boost the small business sector of Mbale – so many accomplishments.    
             




Jane is ripped



Our "Oh crap" face.  We see what's ahead






Jane and me leaning back, fearing for our lives.  Alex is in the middle of yelling, "LEAN FORWARD!"

"AAAAHHHHH"



Best. Photo. Ever.


Bye Elliot!

Oh...I guess that wasn't so bad.





See ya, Alex!








Going...


...going

GONE!


:(



Professionals





Bye Laura




Elliot just couldn't stay in the boat

Later Vesna!  We followed shortly after. 

Libraries for Life books being sold - The math, biology, and geography books. 


            Here is a video of us white water rafting.  I cut out parts of the video, so it's only the boys' boat and our boat.  As a result, there are some awkward transitions.  Also, the quality isn't that great because I did not want to sit here all day.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment