Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Life of a PCV

When I accepted my invitation to join the Peace Corps, there was one thing that I had not expected of my two-year service --- boredom. As you might remember, school was on break when I first moved to site. I had absolutely nothing to do for the first three weeks. I went to a couple of teacher's workshops, met with my counterpart, spent some time with my neighbors and hung out with other PCVs. Nevertheless, I still had a lot of free time on my hands. I got a little busier once school started, but nowhere near a 40-hour work week.

This is not to say that I have spent all of my free time holed up in my house like a hermit crab. (However, I would be lying if I said I have never done this before when I was a little homesick and tired of Uganda.). When I am not at school, I do work in the more non-traditional sense: hang out in the staff room or with my neighbors, wash clothes, mop, go to the market, run or play games with the kids. I know what you're thinking, "Okay, Aubrey. That is work. You just keep telling yourself that."

My non-conventional work may only be something my fellow PCVs can relate to, but trust me, it's work. Washing clothes by hand just plain sucks, and there is no way anyone can claim it's not work. If so, then they should hand wash a pair of jeans or a towel and get back to me. Hand washing clothes also takes forever, especially if you let it pile up. Mopping wouldn't be so bad if I had a Swiffer or even just a real mop. Instead, I have to do it with a rag on my hands and knees. Feels real great on the concrete floor. Both of these chores also require that I have enough water - so I either need to fetch it or find someone else to. It's usually the latter... As you can see, hiring a house girl after a year was the best decision I ever made.

I have to motivate myself to go to the market because it's not as easy as driving down to the grocery store, picking up some tomatoes and peacing out. I wish. Instead, I have to walk 15 minutes to the market and greet everyone along the way. Once I get to my trading center, I have to endure the catcalls from the boda boda drivers, "Hey mzungu! Let me to take you. We go?" Then they proceed to make kissing sounds. It's been two years guys, I haven't taken a ride from you, and I haven't made a kissing sound back. I guess I should admire their determination.

Once I get to the market, I am a source of entertainment for everyone that happens to be there that day. Someone will greet me, "Koyzeo!" I will reply, "Tuliyo," which will immediately be followed by laughter from everyone in the market. The mzungu speaking Lugwere is absolutely hilarious. Everyone will talk amongst themselves about how the mzungu knows Lugwere, acting like I am not even there and cannot hear them. Someone else will eventually shout, "Nekessa! Koyzeo." (At least they know my name and don't say mzungu).

Once again, I will reply, "Tuliyo." More laughter. About five more people will greet me with "Koyzeo," and each time my response will result in more giggles. Eventually, someone will see what other tricks the mzungu can do. He or she will ask, "Amagumba gatya?" When I reply, "Masa. Ate iwe?" everyone goes into hysterics. After that, more and more people will continue to ask simple questions in Lugwere, and my responses will lead to more laughter. It feels like "dance monkey, dance." I have been here two years, everyone knows I can speak a little Lugwere, but this charade still continues. It is exhausting.

You may or may not be convinced that the aforementioned activities are work, but I think you would agree with me if you were put in my shoes for a day. Regardless, I still have a lot of free time during the week. Once it gets dark at 7:00, there isn't much to do. I can go over to my neighbors' for dinner, but they eat around 9-9:30, which is way too late for me. Instead, I usually just stay inside my house and watch TV or read. On the weekend, unless I go to Mbale or hang out with other PCVs, then I usually do the same thing - TV or book. I know, I know...exciting life I lead.

Since I have been here, I have read 102 books and watched countless TV shows and movies. Kindles are a PCV's best friend. I won't bore you with a list of all 102 books because 1) I know you don't care, and 2) I may have dabbled in a few embarrassing/trashy books such as 50 Shades of Grey and one or two Nicholas Sparks novels. I will, however, give you a Top 10 list of my favorite books that I have read here - in case you're looking for something good to read. I considered writing a brief summary for each, but I never liked doing that in high school, and I don't care to now. But take my word for it, these books are good.

Top 10 Books (In the order I read them):

1. Water for Elephants, by: Sara Gruen
2. The Help, by: Kathryn Stockett
3. Bossypants, by: Tina Fey
4. Unbroken, by: Laura Hillenbrand
5. City of Thieves, by David Benioff
6. Shantaram, by: Gregory David Roberts
7. The Lower River, by: Paul Theroux
8. Five Smooth Stones, by: Ann Fairbairn
9. Atlas Shrugged, by: Ayn Rand
10. Fault in Our Stars, by John Green

Atlas Shrugged almost didn't make the list because of the three hour speech at the very end; it was brutal. However, I really enjoyed the book.

As for my TV and movie watching, that list would be way too long. I have probably watched approximately 150-200 movies and who knows how many TV shows. When I first got to site, I watched all 10 seasons of Friends in about two months. I kept relating everyday situations to Friends, and Ryan said I needed to stop watching because it was making me stupid.

My Top 5 TV Shows:

1. Friday Night Lights
2. The Wire
3. Dexter
4. 30 Rock
5. 24

When I was watching 24, I was also applying to grad school. If the power was out, then I was faced with the dilemma of whether I should use my computer battery to do applications or to watch 24 later that night. I always went with the latter. But hey, I still got into grad school - so I clearly made the right decision.

Lastly, if you are all in need of laugh and want to see more glimpses in the life of a PCV, I suggest you check out the following site: http://www.fmpcl.com/posts?page=1. I will warn you, most of these involve a volunteer pooping their pants. PCVs really DO talk about poop...a lot. After reading some of them, I now know where the term "posh corps" comes from. You have no sympathy from me if you can buy cheese, have AC or have such a nice house that you have a smoke alarm - I don't think I've ever seen a smoke alarm in this country.

No comments:

Post a Comment