Monday, March 18, 2013

The Tween in Me

A couple of weekends ago, while hanging out with my Eastern crew of PCVs, I realized that the Peace Corps has turned us into "tweens." When we go to a club, we always request Justin Bieber, Miley Cyrus and Taylor Swift. It's a little embarrassing, and we go crazy whenever these songs are played. I will always think of Uganda when I hear Party in the USA (ironic?) or Baby by the Biebs. I am not so sure why we are obsessed with these songs here, but maybe they just really remind us of being in the USA. I think I need to get my music tastes in check before I come back home. Or maybe I will still indulge in these guilty pleasures.

On Saturday the 9th, Namengo Girls had Parents' Day. Sister Goretti decided to also make it an "appreciation" day for me since I am leaving soon. As per usual, we started two and a half hours late, but I was prepared for that. Rather than wait in the main hall, I waited in my house and told Stephen to call me when everything started. When I arrived, finally, all the parents cheered and clapped for me, which was really awkward. I just stood there with a smile and waved. I am sure I looked super cool. Parents' Day proceeded with speeches and announcements, which were all in English, and then translated in Lugwere - it took forever.

Guess who made an appearance to Parents' Day? My counterpart! I hadn't seen him in ages, and I was beginning to wonder if I was going to see him before I left Uganda. I think that the last time I saw him was in June of last year. Regardless, he gave a speech about me that was really nice and a stroke to my ego. After his speech he called me up to say something to the parents (there were about 175 parents in the hall!). Stephen had helped me prepare a few Lugwere phrases, so everyone cracked up when I spoke. Nothing funnier than a mzungu speaking the local dialect. My speech focused on how much I enjoyed my time in Uganda, how great their children were and how much I was going to miss Namengo Girls. At the end of my speech, Cosmas (my counterpart) stood up in front of everyone and said, "We don't want you to go. We have requested that you stay one more year. We don't want a new volunteer, we want you to stay." Awkward. I just smiled and said "mmhhhm" in typical Ugandan fashion.

The teachers at Namengo Girls are still enjoying their access to email. Francis emailed me last week:

"how prepared are you tolive us with out reaching our homes .is there anything I can do for you to stay back for some time with us."

That is verbatim. Translation: "How long will you be leaving for and when will you return to Uganda? Is there anything I can do to make you stay longer." (I think so at least). After a discussion with Caroline, we decided that it would take a million dollars and an In-n-Out in Budaka for me to stay. Of course, that would only be for a six month extension.

Last week, Stephen asked me to teach his P7 class in the afternoon. He said the students were "requesting me." I haven't been teaching this term because I leave right in the middle, so it didn't make much sense. I wasn't really in the mood to lesson plan, so I decided to play Multiplication Bingo with the class. (I made one for last year's P7 class, and they enjoyed it). I decided to scrounge up some prizes from my house: LA Dodger baseball cap, an MTN water bottle from the marathon and pencils. The students went NUTS after the first prize was won, they were screaming and cheering. I'm sure the other classes were wondering what the heck was going on in P7. They all had a lot of fun, and at the same time, they practiced their multiplication. Win win. (Teacher Aubrey rocks!). Stephen said I have to come and play again this week. He also said it was perfectly appropriate if I gave my clothing as prizes. That's one way to rid your house of my things...

This morning Stephen asked me to attend the General Assembly at school because he wanted me to say goodbye to the students. It turned out to be a little farewell ceremony for me, which was really sweet. The teachers gave a few speeches and one of the P7 students did as well. She ended it with, "We would like you to become a Ugandan citizen." Stephen talked about everything I have done since I have been here. He said, "We have had so many people from US come and help our school. But Aubrey, she is the best we have had. I don't want her to go." So overall, it was really cute, and it made me a little sad about leaving.

I am slowly getting ready to leave, and it is a little weird. Eva came back from school this week so she could hang out with me and say bye. Apparently it's perfectly okay for her to miss a week of school. I'm not so sure about that, but it's nice to have her around. And, no, I'm not having her do my house work while she is home! (I know some of you are thinking that).





Emma and his friend with their homemade soccer balls (made from banana leaves and trash bags)



Emma hard at work fetching water (no, not for me)

The LC (Local Councilman) sent me this list of things his daughter needs. If you want me to buy you things, then maybe you should learn my name. Ebule? Really?

Found this spider/cockroach/cricket hybrid in my house. Gross!

No comments:

Post a Comment